Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What I Made for Dinner: January 30, 2009

Curry-marinated chicken, Greek salad, falafel, served with hummus, yogurt sauce, and pita bread.

We all like Mediterranean food, even persnickety Alex.

The chicken recipe came out of the DK Children's Cookbook, of all places. We got it for the boys a few years ago when they started to get interested in cooking. Everything we have made from it has been fantastic. This chicken was no exception. Strictly speaking, Alex made the marinade; I just supervised. The chicken got marinated in yogurt, tomato paste, lemon juice, olive oil, and curry powder.

Here's the cookbook on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/DK-Childrens-Cookbook-Katharine-Ibbs/dp/0756605970/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233368158&sr=1-1


I made the salad. I make great salads, if I do say so myself. I am exceedingly proud of my salad skills. I have learned how to make some good vinaigrettes and I haven't bought a bottle of salad dressing in years. (I am not counting the Ranch dressing the boys dip carrots in. I have no idea how to make it and wouldn't want to if I did.) So once you know how to make the dressing, Greek salad is an easy one.

My favorite part of this dinner was actually beforehand. We gave Eli some hot chocolate. He took a cautious sip and yelled, "I LIKE IT!" while it ran down his chin because he'd been too excited to swallow it.

Nestle's inspires the first grammatically correct and complete sentence in my son's young life. A sign of things to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment