Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What I Made for Dinner: March 20, 2009

Pork and pepper chili with homemade bread.

Basketball and chili. Basketball all day. I can barely complete a sentence at this point.

During the KU game, I made bread. I like to have something to do when the game is on, and I've been meaning for a while to improve my breadmaking skills. Or to develop any breadmaking skills.

I used a Jamie Oliver cookbook. I like Oliver's recipes because he's really loosey-goosey on the measurements. Even with the bread recipes, he reminds you to use your best judgment on texture and moisture. (That would be great if I had any judgment about bread dough.) Anyway, I used to love his cooking show, and he seemed to enjoy making bread most of all, so I thought I'd turn to him first.

The bread was okay. It rose, at least. It had a nice flavor and the crust was, well, crusty. The texture was kind of dense, whereas I prefer chewy. I'll call it a good first attempt, but there is definitely plenty of room for improvement. I need some tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment