Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What My Mom Made for Dinner: January 22, 2009

Garlic-marinated flank steak, mashed potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts with dried cranberries & almonds.

A dinner like this is always good, and it's completely fabulous when you don't have to make it yourself. Sometimes my mom fixes us dinner so I don't have to do it and I can just play with the boys when I get home from work. It is a very very good thing when that happens.

Flank steak is tasty and inexpensive, and it's exciting to cook because when you broil it, the house fills with smoke! And the kids and the dog freak out! And sometimes the alarm goes off! (But tonight we stayed on top of it and opened the back door in time.)

My aunt Dawn came up with the brussels sprouts recipe, which transforms brussels sprouts from hateful nastiness into little jewels of savory goodness. Even Josh likes it. Alex won't even try it, but he generally rejects vegetables. I don't believe in forced veggie-eating, so he knows he can skip the brussels sprouts and still have a huge piece of the pie Grandma brought

No comments:

Post a Comment