Sunday, August 2, 2009

What I Made for Dinner: August 1, 2009

Butternut squash ravioli with toasted walnuts and brown butter-balsamic sauce.

The boys and I picked out this ravioli at the farmers market last month and I finally had the chance to get it out of the freezer: Home from my little break, no one has had a chance to go to the market, the fridge is kind of empty.

(By the way, Jenna and I had a conversation about how to punctuate the phrase "farmers market." I had been thinking "farmers' market," in the sense that it belongs to the farmers; I have used "farmer's market" knowing it's probably incorrect but thinking it's kind of quaint. Jenna equates it with "Publishers Weekly," no apostrophe needed because it's descriptive rather than possessive. That makes the most sense to me.)

So cooking this only took a few minutes but it was kind of exciting. It turns out that if you dump a little balsamic vinegar into a pan of piping-hot brown butter, the butter will splatter all over your kitchen and you will have to start over. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment