Monday, February 22, 2010

What I Made for Dinner: February 22, 2009

Spaghetti with cheese and black pepper.

Years ago, I went to New York to visit my friend Jenna, and together we went to Lupa for dinner.  The meal was fantastic, largely because I was there with Jenna, but also because the restaurant served the simplest, tastiest dishes--nothing fussy or overdone.  It was June, so early summer vegetables were on showcase.  We had snap peas with sea salt and grilled radicchio with balsamic vinegar.  And, I mean, this meal happened nearly eight years ago, but I remember that food.

For my dinner at Lupa, I ordered bavette cacio e pepe, which I think now has become pretty famous.  When I read Smitten Kitchen's version last week, I remembered again how delicious it was.  And it is so, so simple to make. 

I served it with a large mixed green salad and a smile, because it looks like just plain spaghetti.  Nothing to worry about, kids!  Nothing challenging or unusual tonight!  And they ate it up.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh... this sounds yummy (and easy!). Now I'm not a foodie (or even really a "cook"), but I've got to ask -- is this any different from just making spaghetti noodles and then stirring in butter, cheese, and pepper? Why the extra step (put it back in pot with oil and some of the water, then adding stuff)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It isn't really that different. The method of returning it to the pot, etc. allows the butter, oil, and cooking water to emulsify into a sauce. Other than that, it's the same, only I use coarsely-ground pepper, and a lot of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had to go out and buy the stuff. Your post took me back to childhood--I can't wait to stuff a biteful in my mouth. I miss all of the cooking I used to do before our home was invaded with babies--you have no idea how much I look forward to your new posts--I live each day vicariously through you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete