Sunday, October 10, 2010

What I Made for Dinner: October 10, 2010

Biscuits and sawmill gravy; broccoli slaw.

My children were ravenous this evening when they got home from late-afternoon soccer games.  Famished as though they hadn't had lunches of pizza and fruit, snacks of cheese and granola bars.  "What is going on, you guys?  Why are you so hungry?"  "We just are!  When is dinner gonna be ready?!"  No patience at all, and they both ate more than I did.

We love this dinner but I just can't bring myself to make it more than once in a great while.  I reduce the fat a little by using turkey sausage, but honestly, when there's a pint of cream in the gravy and six tablespoons of butter in the biscuits, how much difference does it really make?  Let's all focus instead on the delicious and wholesome broccoli slaw. 


Broccoli slaw (serves 6-8)

One 12-ounce package broccoli slaw (includes shredded carrots and red cabbage)
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
4 green onions, sliced thin
One 10-ounce can of mandarin oranges, drained and coarsely chopped

dressing
3 T olive oil
1.5 T lemon juice
1 T orange juice
1 t grated orange peel
kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste

Combine the dressing ingredients in a sealable plastic bowl; seal it and shake it until combined.  Combine the slaw ingredients in a large salad bowl; pour the dressing over and toss.

2 comments:

  1. But could you post your biscuits and gravy recipe too please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am too embarrassed to post the recipe for the gravy. I use this foolproof recipe for biscuits from the Amateur Gourmet: http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2004/06/impulsive_late_.html

    and sometimes I use half whole-wheat flour and half white.

    ReplyDelete