Sunday, June 7, 2009

What I Made for Dinner: June 7, 2009

Yogurt-marinated chicken, Greek salad.

Alex had a baseball game tonight, and normally on baseball nights we just eat at the ballpark, but today I couldn't bear the thought. So we ate a little late, but it was so worth it! This chicken is a curry-like affair, a lot like shawarma. I served it with hummus, plain yogurt, and mango chutney for dipping. The recipe is from the DK Children's Cookbook. Josh and Alex love this dinner (Eli does not, but he's two and wanted fruit snacks for dinner so what does he know).

For some reason, this dinner reminds me of when I was a kid, growing up in a town smaller and more great-plainsy than this one, and the first Greek restaurant in our town opened. Greek salad and chicken shawarma was pretty exotic. This restaurant predated the town's Olive Garden. I wish I could remember what it was called! It sat bleakly in a strip mall next to a grocery store, decorated with vinyl booths and posters of gyros sandwiches. But we went there all the time, because it was tasty and interesting and different. Dinner there looked like the one we had tonight.

Then Olive Garden opened and killed it. But it was nice while it lasted.

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember that restaurant but I'm guessing I hated it and complained when we went there. Now, of course, I love Greek food and laugh at the thought of me not wanting it.

    Bleak strip malls and vinyl booths basically sum up how I think of Topeka in general, yet somehow my memory's childhood takes place barefoot in a field of wheat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barefoot in a field of wheat, ha! More like naked in a man-made lake. (I was there for your childhood.)

    ReplyDelete