Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What I Made for Dinner: March 27, 2009

Pulled pork sandwiches.

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. When that happens, I'll occasionally watch Food Network. (Really occasionally--it's usually so lame it doesn't even pass three a.m. muster.) One time, I watched an episode of Throwdown with Bobby Flay where these women in Texas or Alabama or something made pulled pork crepes. They achieved deliciousness with the pork by slow-roasting it for many hours, and it looked just fantastic. But of course, Throwdown with Bobby Flay includes neither demonstrations nor recipes. Lame!

Nevertheless, I woke up the next morning with pork on my mind. I tried it with a boneless shoulder roast, first searing the meat and then roasting at 250 for ten hours. It was pretty good, but a little dry. Subsequent tries with slight variations have been good, but never the level of delectableness, if that's a word, I expected based on my hazy insomniac memory of the Food Network show.

Then yesterday, I tried again. Eight a.m. found me getting a pork tenderloin ready in the roasting pan, olive oil and spice rub on, beer in the pan--oops, forgot to sear the meat. Oh well, I had to go to work, into the oven it went. And then last night at dinner time: Success!!! It was moist and flavorful, and held together well enough to make a sandwich. The kids like theirs with pickles and barbecue sauce. I put on avocado and mayo.

No comments:

Post a Comment