Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What My Mom Made for Dinner: February 25, 2009

Fettucine alfredo with chicken, mushrooms, and broccoli.

It's one of of those lovely evenings when I get home from work and dinner is already on its way to cooked.

This fettucine alfredo recipe has an interesting history in our family because we got it from Marshal A. He was dating my sister for a little while when they were both in high school, and he used to make it for us sometimes. I think it was at least partly responsible for my parents' tremendous warmth and affection for him, which they never again showed to any of Amy's boyfriends, until the one who married her and gave them grandchildren. We don't keep in touch with Marshal anymore, although I hear he's doing well, but we sure make his fettucine alfredo a lot. I hope he would appreciate the lasting impression he had on the family's culinary life.

Anyway, this alfredo recipe is unusual, and very delicious, in that it includes green onions and garlic. It has a depth of flavor missing from the standard butter-cream-cheese arrangement. At my suggestion, tonight my mom mixed in roast chicken and sauteed broccoli and mushrooms. We all agree that the broccoli may have been a mistake; it tasted good, but it invaded the balance of the alfredo sauce. It would have been better as a side dish.

EDITED TO ADD:

I've had many requests for the recipe. Here it is.

Boil water and add 8 oz fettucine. Meanwhile, melt 6 tbsp butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add 2-3 diced green onions and 2 minced cloves of garlic. Cook the vegetables, stirring, until softened but not browned. Add 1/2 pint cream and 1/8 t. ground nutmeg and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and add the cooked noodles and 1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese. Toss until the noodles are coated and the cheese is melted. Add another 1/2 c. grated parmesan and salt & pepper to taste and toss.

No comments:

Post a Comment