Sunday, May 16, 2010

What I Made for Dinner: May 16, 2010

Chicken cutlets and pasta puttanesca, sauteed broccoli with garlic.

My boys are back and I am so happy, not least because I have someone to cook for again! It was relaxing when it was just Eli and me, because he isn't interested in food much these days so I got to eat like I was single.

(By the way, I believe this not-eating thing with Eli will pass eventually. He has never been a great eater but it's gotten a little worse as he approaches his third birthday. It's disturbing to live with a person who is perfectly content with three bites of a bagel for breakfast, a bowl of pretzels and apple slices for lunch, and recriminations for dinner. But at the same age, Josh and Alex, who had always loved to eat, went through this thing too. It passed. We like our food in this family; I have confidence Eli will get there. For now, though, as a dining companion he ranges from indifferent to hostile.)

Anyway, it was kind of fun to eat whatever I felt like. All of these dinners came from when I was first out on my own and learning to cook to please myself.

Leftover rotisserie chicken with broccoli and sun-dried tomatoes. This is too much food for one person, but I got lunch the next day and I got to use up leftovers. Win.

One night, my parents came over and we had wine and cheese for dinner, but my mom brought some asparagus and I felt we needed a vegetable. This is sauteed in olive oil, garlic, and sourdough breadcrumbs.

And finally, if I'm not that hungry, a baked tortilla with mashed avocado. If I was hungrier, I might add rice with tomato sauce and a fried egg.

No more single eating for a while now!

No comments:

Post a Comment