Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What I Made for Breakfast: June 20, 2010

Chai-spiced maple French toast.

So of course my sweet-toothed husband requested French toast for Father's Day breakfast.  French toast is the best!



I started with the basic French toast recipe from my favorite old standby, Joy of Cooking (1997 edition).

The best bread to use for French toast is slightly stale challah, and luckily I had some in my crazy-person extra freezer. 

(Seriously, I wish I was kidding.  I went over to a friend's house recently and we went to her extra freezer to get some ice and you know what was in there?  Ice.  I looked in my sister's "beverage fridge" the other day and you know what she had in there?  Beverages.  Meanwhile in my extra freezer I have half a cow and enough auxiliary food to keep us going for at least a month in case of, I don't know, some catastrophe that a crazy person imagines and plans for.  Including, apparently, a slightly stale challah.)


Anyway, I made a mixture of eggs, half-and-half, and maple syrup.  Then I added about a teaspoon each of cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and a generous pinch of ground cloves.


Mixed it all together and added the bread to soak for a little bit, just to coat generously, really.  Maybe thirty seconds on each side.


French toast is best when fried in butter.  That's not my call--Joy of Cooking says so.




Served with bacon and maple syrup, this is one mightily delicious Father's Day breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment