Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What I Made for Dinner: April 20, 2011

Matzo pizza.

It's time for my annual effort to adhere to some kind of religious tradition.  On Passover week, I always try to omit leavened foods (with varying degrees of success).  I appreciate the tangible way, every time I think about what to eat, that it reminds me to consider freedom and slavery and ancestry.   Eating matzo is almost literally the least I can do.  I'm very interested in making my own, like Eli's friend Asher did with his mom, but that will have to wait for another time.

Matzo, it turns out, is an excellent base for pizza.  When topped with tomato sauce and cheese, then baked on a sheet pan at 400 for about seven minutes, it takes on the approximate texture of St. Louis-style cracker crust.  Not half bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment