Monday, July 18, 2011

What I Made for Dinner: July 18, 2011

Crock pot jerk chicken with brown rice salad.

Last summer, when I started moaning about how it was too hot to cook, several friends and my mom gave me suggestions for tasty, light dinners that didn't require a lot of stove time.  One of the best suggestions was to use the crock pot, which generates little heat and requires almost no fussing or attention. 

I used a jarred Jamaican jerk sauce, diluted with a little orange juice, and didn't bother browning the boneless/skinless chicken breasts first--I just threw 'em in and turned on the crock pot.  And then we went to the pool, where I floated with my toes dragging along the bottom like a hippo.  When we got back, the delicious chicken was ready!

I served it with this cold rice salad and chunks of mango.

Brown rice salad (serves 8)

One 14-ounce box instant brown rice
One can black beans, rinsed and drained
3 sweet bell peppers, preferably mixed colors, diced
One jalapeno, seeds removed and diced
One bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
3 ears sweet corn, kernels removed
3 scallions, white and green parts, minced

Cook the rice according to package instructions; remove from the heat and let cool.  While the rice is cooling, prepare and combine the other ingredients and make the dressing. When rice has fully cooled, add to the other ingredients and toss with dressing.

For the dressing: 
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tsp kosher salt
black pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and whisk.

No comments:

Post a Comment