Friday, July 17, 2009

What I Made Instead of Dinner: July 17, 2009

Zucchini muffins and bread.

So okay, I let the zucchini go a little too long in the garden and came out with a monster. I forgot to take a picture of it before I shredded it, but tonight it turned into this:


which is one heck of a lot of zucchini baked goods, and which didn't even use all the shredded zucchini--I froze enough for another batch-and-a-half. I used Smitten Kitchen's recipe, omitting nuts and including both chocolate chips and dried cranberries.

So the question might be, why didn't I make dinner? The answer is that too many children yelled at me this afternoon when they got home from camp. Yes, they were exhausted and hungry, but really, name-calling does not motivate the cook. They got hot dogs and mac-n-cheese. I took on the above project because baking is soothing: It smells great, it gives you clear instructions to follow, it quickly results in something gorgeous, and it never says mean things to you. It's like the opposite of child-rearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment