Sunday, November 7, 2010

What I Made for Dinner: November 7, 2010

Strip steaks, roast potatoes and asparagus with grape tomatoes, sourdough toast with roasted garlic.

My mom and I are in upstate New York, visiting relatives.  My cousin Nina recently added an adorable new baby to go with the adorable old baby she already had.  My cousin Nora just got engaged and bought a house.  It's always nice to catch up with my aunt and uncle.  And my grandmother isn't going to be around forever, as hard as that is to contemplate.  So we try to get up here when we can.

I love seeing these folks but I always have such houseguest guilt:  Honestly, we invade their house, take over the bathroom, get out all the extra bedding, and drink all the liquor.  What's the upside for them, really? 

Well, at least I can cook for them.

Roast potatoes and asparagus with grape tomatoes (serves 4-6)

about one pound variety of potatoes, such as fingerling or yukon gold, sliced thin
2 pints grape tomatoes
one pound asparagus spears, trimmed
one tablespoon minced garlic, or more to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt and ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400.  Line a baking tray with aluminum foil.
In a mixing bowl, toss together the potatoes, tomatoes, garlic, and two tablespoons of the olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and distribute them in a single layer on the baking sheet.  Roast for about 20 minutes.  Meanwhile, toss the asparagus with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Add the asparagus to the baking sheet and stir everything around.  Roast for another 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment